Minutes of the Northern Virginia ASQC Board Meeting - 6 June 1996
On 6 June, 1996 the Executive Board of the ASQC No. Va. Section 0511 met
to discuss the society's business. In attendance were:
Bill Casti (800) 604-6149 Electronic Media Chair
David Kae (703) 620-8071 Educational Chair
Jim Wilson (703) 255-9560 Outgoing Educational Chair
Roger Schaffer (703) 361-3422 Incoming Examining Chair
Pat McMahon (703) 308-6111 Incoming Publicity Chair
Harvey Shaw (703) 892-2740 Incoming Chair
Dallas Frederick (703) 750-4273 Incoming Program Chair
Russ Carstensen (301) 495-9100 Outgoing Program Chair
Henry Kling (703) 360-9134 Membership Chair
Norm Hills (703) 892-2740 ASQC Member
The meeting was called to order at 7:06 p.m.
1. The May meeting minutes were accepted.
2. There was no Treasurer's report.
3. Standing Committee Reports.
- a. The Electronic Media Chair presented his report. It was noted
that the Publicity Chair and the Newsletter Editor should publicize the
Section Homepage to help increase the accesses to the information.
- b. The Education Chair provided the following report/comments:
- Work on the scholarship fund is progressing. Intend to talk to
the Northern Virginia School Board before submitting to National.
- The Chair is trying to get next years program defined by 1 July.
- At the next meeting of their Committee, they will select the
Chair-elect for the Education Committee.
- Expressed consternation with Mr. Toth's comment about lack of
Committee participation in the Board meetings, noting that Mr.
Toth's attendance left something to be desired. A discussion
followed which pointed out that the written report process had
been implemented as one method of shortening the Board Meetings.
The written reports did not prevent or excuse the Standing
Committees from attending the Board meetings.
- The recent Strategic Planning Workshop was a success.
- c. Professional Liaison and Student Activities Chair: Mr. Shaw
noted that he had received a fax from Mark Jones indicating that he could
not attend and provided a number of actions that he needed guidance on.
Mr. Shaw mentioned that the fax notificatio n was appreciated and that he
would respond to the request for guidance.
4. Old business:
- a. Revisit moneys and sub-budgets for Standing Committees: No
discussion - continued item for next Executive Board Meeting.
- b. Scholarship Fund: previously addressed by Educational Committee
5. New business:
- a. Election for Chair-Elect: Mr. Shaw pointed out that he had
taken the initiative to send the ballots first class mail with a return
stamp included. This was to facilitate the chances that we would receive
the necessary 25% return. It was noted that a few people had notified him
that they had not received their ballots. They would be provided new
ones. A voice count of those present indicated that everyone had received
their ballot. Mr. Shaw also noted that the timetable for voting would
result in the announcement of the voting results at the next Executive
Board Meeting. The results would not be available by the next dinner
- b. Next dinner meeting: Those present were reminded that the
next dinner meeting was to include spouses or significant others. The
speaker had been chosen to appeal to the combined audience.
- c. Baltimore-Washington Area Partnership for Learning and
Cooperation: Mr. Shaw noted that minutes of the recent meetings were
provided for review. A quick synopsis of the associations involved and
the goals was provided. Mr. Shaw noted that he was looking for additional
volunteers to participate in future planning sessi ons which will be held
on Saturdays (once a month - 10:00 a.m. to noon - location to be
- d. ISO Committee Report: Mr. Toth did not attend, no report
- e. Regional Director's Budget: Mr. Casti provided a copy of a
letter that has been circulated by the Baltimore Chair requesting support
for providing a budget for the Regional Director. He provided some
background on the proposal noting that at prese nt the lack of budget puts
undue financial stress on the Regional Director. This is an attempt to
get National to change existing policy. The proposal is to provide $1 per
member per year. A motion was made and seconded to support this endeavor.
The motion passed, the Board will write a letter to the National
expressing support. The Board also encouraged each individual member to
also write a supporting letter and send it to National.
6. Other business:
- a. Mr. Shaw noted that he was maintaining a Section 0511 Quality
Library. In fact, AAA had just returned two books borrowed with a thank
- b. Mr. Shaw noted that he had just received a new Section
Management Plan (SMP) training package. He will provide it to the new
Chair-Elect at the conclusion of the election and will charge the
Chair-Elect to be in charge of the SMP (with the Chair's assistance).
- c. Pat McMahon noted that she had attended the National Conference
on Federal Quality and that there were several interesting presentations
by National that would be good potential candidates for future dinner
- d. It was noted that Bill Casti's presentation at the National
Congress was well received and that he would be giving it again at the
Harford Community College within a week.
7. The Executive Board adjourned at 8:15 p.m. and all agreed to meet at
Inchcape on Monday evening, July 1, 1996 to commence the new 1996/1997